Sentences
1. Watch out for pickpockets at the station. A friend of mine got his wallet lifted there a while ago.
小心车站的扒手。刚才我的一个朋友就在那儿让人把他的钱包给偷了。
2. I'm basically just an ex-con trying to go straight and look after my kids.
基本上,我就是一个想要改邪归正并照看好我的孩子们的有前科之人。
3. I am placing you under arrest. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you fail to mention when questioned anything that you later rely on in court.
我现在要逮捕你。你可以保持沉默,但如果你不在审讯时提及你以后的呈堂证供,那么将对你的辩护不利。
4. You'd have to be brave to go through the back streets at night. It's a mugger's paradise down there.
在夜间穿越后街你得有胆量才行。那一带是强盗的天堂。
Slang
A “nicked”形容物品时的意思是“被盗的”,形容人时的意思是“被逮捕,被抓”。
1. Sarah's bike got nicked the other day, so she's taking the bus to work for the moment.
莎拉的自行车前几天被偷了,所以她目前是在坐公交车上班。
2. I got nicked for speeding last month, had to pay a fine.
上个月我被抓到超速驾驶了,被迫交了罚金。
3. All right, sunshine, you're nicked.
好了,小弟,你被捕了。
B 表示受到警方追查、刚刚被窃的物品的俚语:“hot”;形容那些因销赃等活动而惹上麻烦的俚语:“burned”。
1. They're worth more, but these are very hot, so that's the most I'm going to buy them for.
它们并非只值这么些钱,但这些东西被追查得很紧,所以那是我能出的最高买价了。
2. She helped pass on a shipment of hot stereos and got badly burned.
她因协助转移被盗的立体声音响而惹上了大麻烦。
3. Something this hot can't be sold until you get it out of the country.
你要把被追查得这么紧的东西给卖出去,就先得把它运出国。
C 表示“责罚;刑罚”的俚语:“rap”。
1. Twenty-five years - that's a bad rap.
25年啊——那可是重罚啊。
2. The defence lawyers weren't confident but in the end we managed to beat the rap.
虽然辩护律师曾感到没有把握,但我们最后还是设法逃过了刑罚。
3. Don't worry about it. I'll take the rap for this one.
别担心。这件事由我来担着。